Monday, February 14, 2011

Who Voted for these guys ?

            Will anyone ever admit to voting for these people ?
            I have started to wonder about what goes on in people’s heads when they vote for somebody to get a certain award. The last month has come and brought with it Troy Polamalu winning the defensive player of the year award and Yao Ming being voted on by the fans to start on the NBA All-Star team. Neither one of these guys really deserve any type of award or should be awarded too such an All-Star team. I wonder what the fans or the voters saw that really made them go and vote for these athletes. I understand that in a couple months nobody will really even remember either of these, but for now, I question you, Is Yao Ming really the top center in the West? Was Troy Polamalu the defensive player of the year in the NFL?? I highly doubt it. Actually the more I think about it, No F’n way they are.
            Fans each year get to vote for the starters for the NBA All-Star game and each year it seems somebody is named a starter that shouldn’t be. This year it really holds true when Yao Ming was voted to start for the West. Yao can’t even start a game for his own team the Houston Rockets this year or even his national team. If he can’t even play for them how did you really think he deserves to be an All-Star? This just blows my mind. No way should a player who can’t even play be awarded to an All-Star award of any kind.
            Yes, I understand that he was replaced anyways, but it just shows how messed up the system is. Kevin Love shouldn’t be a replacement All-Star, he deserves to be a regular All-Star enjoying his first trip to the game for his accomplishments this year, not having to be brought into the who is better debate, even though it is a good debate between him and Blake Griffin. I for one would like to see the NBA only let the fans choose between a certain amount of players that actually play. Players like Yao shouldn’t even be on the ballot. It would definitely stop things like this from happening again if people didn’t even have the choice to vote him on.
            I am thinking that many over seas computers led to this happening and maybe a few Rockets fans had a few too many drinks one night and voted late at night for Yao. But, If this isn’t the case and you really think Yao is having the type of season to warrant being on the All Star team and voted for him, please go to the nearest mirror and look at yourself real good and ask yourself this question, Does Yao really deserve to start in the NBA All-Star game? If you still really think he does, do me a big favor and punch yourself as hard as you can in the groin. You deserve that. Also tell your friends I feel for them having to listen to you talk about sports. I bet you are the guy expecting big numbers out of Ken Griffey JR this next baseball season and expect North Carolina to roll to another national championship this year since Roy always wins the big game in the NCAA tournament.
Now to the NFL defensive player of the year award that was awarded to everyone’s favorite shampoo salesman Troy Polamalu. He pry does deserve to be named in the names of guys in contention for this award, but in no way should he be in the same sentence as Clay Matthews. No it’s not because I like straight hair over curly hair either, even though I do like my hair being straight. It's because, I actually like players who play more games and contribute more at the end of the season.  At the end of the season Polamalu wasn’t even in the games for the Steelers or leading there defense on every play. Clay Matthews sure was though. Clay did miss a game early in the year that the Packers lost, but Polamalu missed the two final games of the year, much more important games to the future of his team. Both players had about the same amount of tackles. Polamalu had more picks which he should of course being a safety and getting to play the Bengals and Browns each twice; both teams are teams whom my mother could have started at quarterback for this season.  She wouldn’t even have threatened to sell her house if the Bengals forced her to come back after playing so bad.
            Now I give the deciding factor to Clay, because of the 14 sacks and pressure he always was putting on the quarterback coming off the edge. The argument about Clay being closer to the ball means you didn’t watch any of the Steelers games as Troy was up on the ball often also and did about the same thing just less affectively as Clay did. The speed rush that Clay brought was insane pressure that most teams couldn’t stop, or had to totally run away from. Most likely my biggest thing goes back to Clay was also playing football at the end of the season when his team really needed him. He wasn’t playing half games or sitting out like Polamalu. Maybe my hate for the Steelers would affect my voting, but I didn’t see anything out of Polamalu different this year then he has done any other year except reap the awards of Woodley and Harris making quarterbacks rush passes while he was playing safety and then putting on his token pressure off the corner. This year I did see a Clay Matthews I have never seen in his collegiate or NFL career.
            Either way I just think that these awards have gotten a little ridiculous when you see such things as Yao making the All- Star game and Troy Polamalu winning the NFL’s defensive player of the year award. Should we just flip coins between players since the fans can’t get it right, or should we cut cards since the writers never can? That I am not for sure of, I mean I wouldn’t give much credit to American voters in general the last maybe 10 years, so what should I expect when it comes to voting for sporting awards. Or maybe I will only be happy when one of the players on the miserable teams I cheer for is the player to luck out with these votes. Maybe then I will think the system is great.
 If you have any great ideas I want to hear them or if you want to tell me how stupid I am that’s cool also. I probably don't get as much of that as I should ever since I have moved out of my parents basement, so add me on twitter @ChrisSturgill12 and let me know, I also wouldn’t mind a Mark Zuckerberg kind of stalker aslong as its female and halfway decent looking. Love talking about all types of sports; ufc, spring training baseball starting, college sports - nfl - nba, anything.           

No comments:

Post a Comment